Dr. Birdex Copeland, Jr. – is Chairman of the Board at Shreveport Federal Credit union, a position he has held since 1999.
Copeland has served the credit union movement as a volunteer for over 40 years. He is a graduate of Grambling State University with his BA degree and has a PhD from Kansas State University. He served as Dean of the School of Social Work at Grambling State University (1992-2001), responsible for nationally accredited undergraduate and graduate programs. He considers his efforts toward the “people helping people” emphasis in the credit union movement as an extension of his professional role as a social worker. Serving the “underserved” is an important mission.
A visionary and a leader, Dr. Copeland, led the credit union as it adopted a successful Community Development Strategy serving Low to Moderate Income people across two of the most distressed states…Louisiana and Mississippi.
Shreveport Federal Credit Union proudly boosts many successes under Dr. Copeland’s reign:
- 8 full service branches
- Developing a program to help small, emerging businesses
- 2 financial empowerments (one in Louisiana and one in Mississippi) to help members learn about finances and financial freedom
- Building a multi-million-dollar corporate office adjacent to the busy Auto Mall in South Shreveport
- Reaching the $100 Million milestone in assets
- Merger with two credit unions in the Mississippi Delta
- Annual Club Prestige activities, including trips, luncheons, seminars, etc. for credit union members ages 50 and above
- Achievement of CDFI status, with emphasis on helping the underserved and low income segments of the population.
Dr. Copeland is a huge advocate for the credit union movement and a true believer that a board must be trained, must be knowledgeable of credit union compliance and current events and must plan for the future.
Married to Lolita Collins-Copeland, Dr. Copeland is the father of two children (Brian Copeland & Beryl Washington) and grandfather of two (Virginia and Lea).